Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Why SERVPRO - SERVPROXIDE
Did you know that when you call SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico to clean your home or business that we use our own in-house formulated surface cleaning agent? That’s right, we’ve developed a non-bleach disinfectant that can treat any surface hard and soft. SERVPROXIDE is our answer to all of your disinfecting needs.
SERVPROXIDE is 100% biodegradable and food safe. You don’t need gloves to clean with it, it can be used around kids and pets, and sanitizes non-porous surfaces in 60 seconds.
We offer 99.999% sanitation of food contact surfaces so that you can use it in your restaurant or any other place of business as well.
Our SERVPRO team prides ourselves on using high-standard disinfecting tools to ensure our customers that we mean clean.
What Happens if Water is Not Cleaned Up Properly?
When you experience water damage in your home or business it can be tempting to want to try and address it yourself to avoid the costs of paying a restoration company or dealing with your insurance, but it’s important to understand the risks in trying to DIY your water damage.
Water gets everywhere. When your refrigerator water line leaks or a bathroom tub overflows, the damage isn’t limited to just what you see. Water seeps into cracks, gets absorbed into the flooring and behind walls, belongings get wet, and essentially anything that the water touches is affected. Depending on the extent of the leak it can be nearly impossible to ensure that everything is properly dried out just from a visual inspection.
The biggest issue with this is that water will continue to damage your property until it is dried out. Left unchecked, these hidden moisture pockets can cause:
- Discoloring of your walls or floors
- Musty odors or mold issues
- Warped flooring or carpet separation
- Structural Deterioration
SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico is a leader in the restoration industry. Our team is IICRC certified in water damage mitigation and restoration services and uses the latest technology and techniques to ensure that your property is thoroughly dried out and there are no hidden areas left behind. If your home or business suffers from water damage don’t leave it up to chance, give us a call and let us know how we can help!
Why Choose IICRC Restoration Professionals
Here at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico we know that when it comes to your home or business there’s nothing more important than the quality of work you receive. Our team studies hard to ensure that they’re up to date on the latest industry standards and techniques and are constantly working to further their restoration knowledge.
Some of our team recently took part in a weeklong IICRC training on Fire and Water restoration before taking their tests to get officially IICRC certified. When you need restoration work done on your property, you can count on SERVPRO to be there with the tools to make it happen. Our team of professionals is ready for your call 24/7, 365 days a year. Please let us know how we can help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO's Veteran Employee Shares Her Experience
SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico is proud to honor and support our veteran employees and we hope that you can be a part of our family too! We’ve asked one of our service members to share their experiences with SERVPRO and how SERVPRO could be the right place for you.
Amy Wingfield is one of our Job File Coordinators and served in both the Army and the Army National Guard.
SERVPRO: “Do the skills you learned during your service transfer to your current position here at SERVPRO?
Amy: “My Recruiting and Administrative Assistant roles provided me with the necessary skills needed to fulfill the expectations and requirements of my current position at SERVPRO of Chesterfield. Attention to detail, problem solving, training, time management, and the ability to adapt to many scenarios are some of the skills that have helped me be successful in my position as a Job File Coordinator.”
SERVPRO: “What do you like most about working for SERVPRO?”
Amy: “SERVPRO is fast paced, never the same, and you are learning every day. You can move up in some of the positions by working hard, dedication, attention to detail, and your willingness to go above and beyond expectations. Personally, I like the challenges I face daily in my position as a JFC and I have been supported by management and owners throughout some difficult times. The caring, appreciative environment is wonderful, and they do their best to ensure we know that we are important to the success of the franchises. “
SERVPRO: “What would you tell another veteran who is interested in working for SERVPRO?”
Amy: “If you are driven, want to grow with a company, and are open to learning something new, then your skill set will fit in nicely here. They honor us, show us appreciation for the time we served, and have the old “work hard play hard” thought process. This job can be physically and mentally challenging at times, however being a military member has taught us to push through and complete the mission. I say come join us and carve your path here!”
Our team is dedicated to being a workplace where veterans can feel comfortable and take advantage of the vast set of skills they have acquired throughout their service. If you think SERVPRO would be a good fit for you, we would love to hear from you.
SERVPRO of Richmond is IICRC Certified
We at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico strive to provide the best possible service that we can to our customers, and that’s why our employees are IICRC certified! But what does IICRC certification mean and why is it important for you?
IICRC is The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification. This sets the standard for the cleaning and restoration industries. There are many different courses our technicians study:
- Applied Structural Drying Technician (ASD) – This course teaches technicians how to dry out water damaged structures as efficiently and effectively as possible using state of the art monitoring, extraction, and drying equipment.
- Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) – This course covers fabric identification, cleaning chemicals, pre-inspection, and the proper cleaning techniques for both residential and commercial applications
- Applied Microbial Remediation Technician (AMRT) – Technicians learn how to perform mold and sewage remediation techniques while making sure the health and safety of workers and occupants is protected
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) – In this class technicians learn about the different types of smoke and fire damage, cleaning procedures and odor/deodorization.
- Odor Control Technician (OCT) – Here technicians learn techniques to mitigate and remediate odors caused by sources like mold, smoke, urine, decomposition and more.
- Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning Technician (UFT) – This class covers fiber identification and cleaning methods as well as how to identify issues such as shrinking, bleeding, crowning, or distorting before they occur
- Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) – Technicians learn to deal with sewer backflows, water losses, and contamination such as mold, as well as how water damage can affect the structures of both residential and commercial buildings
These classes and certifications mean that SERVPRO has the knowledge to make your commercial or residential loss “Like it never even happened.”
Why Choose SERVPRO of Richmond to Handle Your Damage?
When your home or business is faced with damage from storms, fire, or mold it’s easy to assume the worst. SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico believes that there is no loss too big for us to handle. We have the resources required to respond as fast as possible to help mitigate any further damage to your property and the knowledge to feel confident that we can make your loss “Like it never even happened.”
What makes SERVPRO so special?
- Our employees are constantly learning the newest mitigation strategies and techniques with state-of-the-art equipment to make sure your home or business gets the best possible service we can offer.
- We are an IICRC Certified firm. The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification program means that you can rest assured our team has gone through extensive training and perform at the best of their abilities.
- We are family owned and operated. Our franchise team has over 35 years of experience serving our local community, with one of the largest franchises on the east coast. While we are locally owned, we still have the resources of a national company giving us the ability to respond faster and giving you the peace of mind you need when a disaster affects your property.
New Hire Spotlight
New Hire Spotlight! Margaret Davis started in June as an Accounting Assistant.
“I was born in Surry County, VA and I graduated from John Tyler with an Associate’s degree in Accounting. Before I joined SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico, Plus, I worked for SFE Brands as an Accounting Analyst and prior to that role, I worked for Community Partners in the accounting department for over 10 years. While I’m not working, I love traveling, shopping, and eating out and trying new dishes. I also love to bake and try new desserts.
I was interested in working for SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico, Plus because of the potential for growth and I’m really looking forward to growing with the company. The accounting team is awesome to work with and everyone is friendly and helpful!”
Always Here To Help
A local medical facility called our SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico crew out for emergency water mitigation services. Water had affected 5 floors of the facility and we responded immediately to address the damage and work up a plan to best handle the situation.
When working in delicate locations like medical facilities, sometimes our team will need to get creative when performing mitigation services. Our team built specialty containments made out of corrugated plastic boards, designed to prevent secondary damage and cross-contamination, while also creating negative pressure chambers. The use of raw wood was also prohibited, as wood is porous and germs can easily adhere to it.
Our SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico team will always work with our clients to ensure we are doing everything we can to meet their specific needs.
Spring Cleaning Tips from SERVPRO
Now is the best time to start thinking about spring cleaning for your home! You've probably been cooped up inside for a while now and noticed all the places that dust and clutter build up. It can be overwhelming coming up with a plan, but check out this handy list to help you get started:
- vacuum couches and chairs
- change air filters
- wash windows inside/outside
- inspect smoke alarm and fire extinguishers
- clean blinds
- dust ceiling fans and baseboards
- clean out medicine cabinets and organize storage closets
- clean out fridge/freezer - wipe down the inside
- organize Tupperware drawers
- clean out and wipe down inside of cabinets
- vacuum and mop floors
- bring out spring/summer clothing and pack up winter clothes
- straighten up/organize laundry area and clean lint trap and behind washer/dryer
- purge clothing you no longer wear to donate or give away
- clean out closets and donate
- put away winter bedding and clothes
- rotate mattress
- wash bedding
- clean garage/shed
- clean gutters
- clean house siding
- clean patio furniture
- clean porch/deck/patio
- seal driveway
- wash/inspect light fixtures
If you would like a deeper, more professional cleaning of your home or business, call us at 804-740-6151.
Warehouse Manager Explains Why He Works at SERVPRO
Looking for your next career? Check out what our employees have to say:
“I started working at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico in October 2014 as a Warehouse Technician, and my job was primarily cleaning the equipment that came back from jobs. I slowly expanded my responsibilities and role within the company until finally becoming the Warehouse Manager. Since then, the warehouse has grown from a one-man operation to a team that’s had up to 10 employees. It was a perfect progression because I was able to start by learning the nuts and bolts of the business, to then slowly learning broader skills, such as understanding job flow, supply chain management, and, most importantly, employee management.
I love the size of the company. Prior to SERVPRO, I worked for a corporation with 17,000 employees and when you’re one of 17,000, it feels as if almost nothing you do matters. It can be difficult to buy into the culture if you don't feel that you are part of something bigger. At SERVPRO, I found a company that fits me perfectly. It doesn’t feel like just a job, but more like a community you can dive into and grow with personally, while seeing that no one’s work ever goes unnoticed. You feel like you’re not only a part of something important, but that you’re an important part of it. The day-to-day is frequently exciting, often stressful and always interesting. Simply put, work gets done here. If you are hardworking and ambitious, there’s no end to where you and the company can go. That is, if your definition of 'hard work' is the same as ours.” – Brian Genest
If you are interested in joining the SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico Team, please email careers@SERVPROctn.com.
Commercial Sales Representative Explains Why She Loves Working at SERVPRO
Looking for your next career? Check out what our employees have to say:
"I started working for SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico in October 2016 after spending most of my career working for only two other privately owned businesses. I like the “dedicated family” style that comes with privately owned businesses. I have found that they tend to work hard and play hard. SERVPRO did not disappoint. The position that I applied for was Sales and Marketing Representative – Commercial Accounts. I had no sales background, but a strong desire to transition into sales. The Sales Manager who interviewed me introduced me to co-owner, Theresa Bahen. I shared my desire to find a long term place where I could spend the remainder of my career, working hard and working with a great team. In the nearly 3 ½ years that I’ve been here, my client base and sales have shown immense growth.
At SERVPRO, there are educational opportunities to strengthen your position and knowledge in this industry. Within 2 years, I obtained my IICRC – Water Restoration certification. I’ve gained industry knowledge through shadowing Project Managers, studying the company’s Corporate website, and soaking in the knowledge and assistance from Team Leaders and staff whenever I have questions. No one is ever too busy to help when needed. The most rewarding part of my job is when clients call us for work and we are able to help them put their business back “Like it never even happened.” I regularly hear from clients who have had great success stories to tell about their personal and business dealings with SERVPRO. It makes me proud to represent a brand that is so well known and respected in the restoration industry.
It became very clear to me, early on, that the owners of this business truly appreciate and take care of their valued employees. They put safety first and we operate as one team. If you are looking for longtime employment with great benefits and are willing to work hard, you’ll enjoy many opportunities to play hard too! Come on over and join the team!" - Karen Clifton
If you are interested in joining the SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico team, please email careers@SERVPROctn.com.
Alexis Explains Why She Loves Working at SERVPRO
"I started working at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico when I was 19 years old in March of 2013. Starting as the back-up receptionist, I have also been trained in Dispatch as well as a Job File Coordinator, and now my current position of a Lead Job File Coordinator. I have learned how to multitask efficiently, how to be flexible when dealing with different circumstances, and how to assist newer JFCs with tasks.
I enjoy working with multiple project managers and assisting our customers with getting their homes or businesses back to “Like it never even happened.” The work environment at SERVPRO is very family-oriented. I can absolutely say my coworkers are some of the best people I’ve ever met! If you love helping others in a time of need or if you want to feel appreciated and like a valuable member of a team, SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico is the place for you!" - Alexis Coddington.
Team Leader, Joey Waters Discusses Why He Loves Working at SERVPRO
“I started working at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico in October of 2003. I came from a construction background so the knowledge I brought with me helped me excel with our day-to-day operations. I moved up to the Crew Chief position pretty quickly and was running crews for several years before moving into the Project Manager position. I was a Project Manager for roughly 5-6 years before I advanced to the role of Team Leader, which is the position I hold today. I really enjoy working and continually growing alongside my coworkers. Everyone gets along well and works together as a team. The work environment is great and I enjoy the daily laughs and getting along with everyone. It’s amazing how all of the different personalities can come together as one to accomplish anything we want. We, as a team, have really helped this company grow into what we are today. If you’re thinking about joining our team, take the chance to learn about the business and the work that we do. You will see all the different aspects of the job and how every day is never the same. You get to meet new people every day and take satisfaction in knowing we are truly helping people in a time of need and making it “Like it never even happened.” - Joey Waters, Team Leader
24/7 Emergency Service
Who Will You Call?
It's 2 o'clock in the morning and there is water shooting in every direction from a burst pipe in your basement. The water is rising fast, and you think to yourself no one is going to help me at this time of night. While disasters do not work a 9-5, neither does SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico. Our team is always on disaster time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our trained specialists are equipped and prepared to spring into action moments after the call comes in. Not only do we respond in a quick and timely matter, but the job is done properly, efficiently and professionally. Other companies may leave you waiting until the morning which is going to cause more damage on your property, and your wallet.
No matter the time or circumstance don't panic, call SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico to take care of all your restoration needs at (804)-740-6151.
We Are Cleaning Experts
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need!
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico at 804.740.6151
Why Choose SERVPRO of Richmond for Fall Cleaning
It's important to clean the fall leaves out of your gutters before the winter weather hits and causes potential water damage in your home.
Everyone has heard of spring cleaning, but not everyone knows the importance of fall cleaning! This is the time of year to get your house ready for the fall and winter weather. Check out this handy checklist of what to do before the fall leaves and winter weather takes over.
- Vacuum all lamp shades
- Hand clean all light fixtures
- Check gutters, clean if needed
- Wash windows and make sure they are sealed properly
- Have rugs professionally cleaned by SERVPRO of Richmond
- Wipe out kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Test smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
- Wipe out window wells
- Sweep out garage
- Clean and store patio furniture
- Clean or replace shower liners
- Clean washing machine
- Clean dishwasher
- Go through food pantry
- Clean oven
- Clean and organize closets
- Clean grill
And last but not least, purge! Donate what you don’t need, wear, or use.
If you don't want to take on the fall cleaning yourself and you would like to have your house professionally and thoroughly cleaned, call SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County for an estimate at 804.740.6151.
We Host Free Continuing Education Classes
This is CE class was on Understanding the Restoration Industry: Property Fire Damage Restoration.
At SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County, we are fortunate enough to have an onsite training center to host our local insurance agents and adjusters for continuing education credits. Our newly renovated training center is capable of hosting about 100 people for classes, training's or seminars.
This is very beneficial for our local agents and adjusters as all licensees are required to obtain at least 24 hours of continuing education credit in each two-year period between renewals. This year, SERVPRO of Richmond hosted 2 separate classes for our agents to receive a total of 8 credits.
A knowledgeable and interesting instructor leads theses topics that include property fire damage restoration, water damage restoration, contents cleaning, mold remediation, ethics courses, and more. Our agents and adjusters seem to love these classes and mention that they learn a lot about these topics.
If you are a licensed insurance agent or adjuster and are interested in taking one of our offered CE classes, please don't hesitate to reach out to our office for more information at 804.740.6151.
Water Damage? What To Do Until Help Arrives
Extreme water damages can greatly impact your home or business if it’s not addressed quickly.
SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County has the tools and man-power to address our customer's issues as quickly as possible. However, since we cannot get to everyone at the same time, we can offer tips and measures to take while you wait for help to arrive.
What To Do Until Help Arrives:
- Shut off the source of water is possible
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Remove to a safe, dry place any painting, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
In the event of a water damage, SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County will do everything to get to you as fast as possible and take care of your water damage. In the meantime, take these steps to safely save your affected furniture and personal items.
Disaster Recovery Team Bahen
As Hurricane Dorian makes it's way through the Bahamas causing disaster and destruction in it's path, Disaster Recovery Team Bahen at SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico is preparing for the hurricane to hit the south eastern part of the United States.
Because we are a Disaster Recovery Team, we are able to travel outside our state to assist businesses affected by the storm with water damage restoration. We have the tools and resources to handle large disasters with the proper knowledge and training. Our Team leaders in charge of the DRT team are currently mapping out a plan on how to best respond in an efficient and strategic way. We are also loading equipment into trailers so we're ready to act fast when the fleet heads down east.
Here at SERVPRO of Richmond we pride ourselves on holding up to our core values as a locally owned company and as a team. We believe in 6 key values that represent our company and makes us stand out in the community.
- Growth - Pursue growth through knowledge, excellence, innovation and continuous improvement every day - at every level.
- Integrity - Do what is right and fair - Our relationships with customers, suppliers and each other are based upon honesty, trust, and mutual respect. We do what we say we will do.
- Being the Best - We relentlessly pursue excellence in everything we do. We embrace technology and superior quality, value and service to our customers and coworkers. As a team, we work together to meet the needs of our customers and help the company win.
- Leadership - Provide strong, supportive management teams who embrace and drive change, promote honestly, integrity, innovativeness, teamwork, excellence and empowerment of individuals.
- Customer Service - To achieve total customer satisfaction by understanding what the customer wants and delivering it flawlessly.
- Teamwork - Our team is reliable, honest, supportive of each other's efforts, enthusiastic and positive. We communicate openly and face challenges optimistically. We are accountable, deliver on promises and strive to exceed expectations.
Veteran Experiences Home Fire
Last week, the Henrico Board of Supervisors invited SERVPRO of Richmond and other groups involved in repairing Vietnam Vet Walter Flanagan's home fire to be recognized for helping a fellow resident at his time of need. Our General Manager, Bobby Morgan originally went out and met with the fire marshal, building inspector and the customer. The homeowner got the house from his parents but has no homeowners insurance. His parents kept everything and every room was full of contents. Our crews delivered boxes, packing paper, sharpies, trash bags, and packing tape to the home and began boxing up the homeowner's belongings that can be saved and cleaned from the smoke and soot damage. Our crews also set up a generate to give power to his home. Volunteers also contributed to cleaning contents, putting up drywall and insulation, and even painting the rooms in his home. While our team helped out this veteran, we also involved the local news to call for other groups or organizations to donate their time and resources. Multiple local organizations stepped in to help this veteran out and we were able to get him back inside his home with a new renovated kitchen and all new appliances. At the Board of Supervisors Meeting, Mr. Flanagan addressed the audience and expressed his gratitude for everyone involved in fixing his home.
Why Choose SERVPRO® of Richmond
- Locally independently owned and operated, with the headquarters established in Chesterfield
- Consistently recognized in the top ten of 1,700 national locations
- Ranked 4th SERVPRO® Franchise in 2015
- Named Franchise of the Year in 2008
- More than 30 years of experience serving our local community
- Second largest franchise on the East Coast - Extreme Team Bahen
- Excellent reputation with homeowners, insurance companies, business owners, facility managers, local and state government agencies and commercial property management teams
Company and Technician Certifications
- NADCA – National Air Duct Cleaning Association
- EPA – Lead Certified Firm
- IAQA – Indoor Air quality Association
- IICRC – Institute of Inspection, Cleaning & Restoration
- CDS – Commercial Drying Specialist
- WRT – Water Damage Restoration
- ASCA – Air Systems Cleaning Specialist
- OSHA – OSHA Training and Compliance
- FSRT – Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- AMRT – Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- Plus many more
In the unfortunate event of a fire or water damage, call SERVPRO® of Richmond. We Weill respond 24/7 with trained employees, state-of-the-art equipment and the resources required to perform emergency services to limit property damages.
No Job Too Large
SERVPRO of Richmond has just begun a large project right here in our warehouse. A company was carrying 1,200 pallets from overseas into the US when the pallets were exposed to heavy moisture and water. Needless to say, these pallets sitting in moisture for an extended period of time began to produce growth.
Our team was able to come up with a game plan to handle a job this large. The process consisted of cleaning, remediating and re-wrapping all 1,200 pallets. A 60 x 30 containment area filled with air scrubbers was constructed inside our warehouse to perform the necessary measures to get these pallets cleaned and free of mold. It was important to build a containment area to keep the air scrubbers working efficiently in a confined space.
If you has a small patch of mold in your house or 1,200 pallets covered in mold, choose the professionals at SERVPRO of Richmond to handle your job the right way.