Water Damage? What To Do Until Help Arrives
Extreme water damages can greatly impact your home or business if it’s not addressed quickly.
SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County has the tools and man-power to address our customer's issues as quickly as possible. However, since we cannot get to everyone at the same time, we can offer tips and measures to take while you wait for help to arrive.
What To Do Until Help Arrives:
- Shut off the source of water is possible
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Remove to a safe, dry place any painting, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
In the event of a water damage, SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico County will do everything to get to you as fast as possible and take care of your water damage. In the meantime, take these steps to safely save your affected furniture and personal items.