Water Damage To Your Business
In the business industry when a water damage occurs, it can cause a lot of stress for the business owners. Getting back up and running is so important that sometimes mistakes and quicks fixes can happen that can actually cause more damage. Check out these facts to help understand why it's important to call the professionals to handle this damage.
Water Restoration Facts
- A sheet of drywall standing upright in 1/2" of water can absorb as much as 6 inches in less than 3 hours.
- Water is known as a "universal solvent" because it dissolves more substances than any other liquid.
- Mold typically begins to grow within 24 to 48 hours in an untreated, moist environment. So if water is left untreated, this forms the perfect conditions for mold growth.
- A puddle of water around a water heater indicates a slow leak, or rusted or corroded fittings. Act quickly as water heaters are under a great deal of water pressure.
Water Contamination Categories in the Restoration Industry
- Category 1 - Water from a clean source that poses no risk of sickness or discomfort such as from an overflowing bathtub or from a broken water supply pipe.
- Category 2 -Water that has a significant degree of chemical, biological and/or physical contamination such as water from a dishwasher or washer, or aquarium leak or discharged Category One water that sits untreated for more than 24 hours becomes a Category Two.
- Category 3 - Water coming from a grossly unsanitary source or carrying disease causing agents such as releases from septic systems and flood waters or discharged Category One water that sits for more than 48 hours becomes Category Three, or discharged Category Two water that sits for more than 24 hours becomes Category Three.
At SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico we use the proper cleaning agents approved by the EPA which include:
- Sanitizers -reduce the number of microorganisms
- Disinfectants - destroy or inhibit the growth, but not necessarily the spores.
- Sterilizers - destroy all microorganisms and their spores, such as mold, bacteria, viruses, etc.
Our knowledge of the water mitigation and restoration industry is vital for your business to utilize to take the necessary steps to get your business back up and running as soon as possible. Call us at 804-740-6151 to handle your business's water damages.