Fire Safety 101
Fires started in nature are one of the most unpredictable and damaging disasters we can face. However, many fires that start in the workplace or home can be avoidable if the right precautions are taken.
Following these 10 steps to reduce the risks of fires in your home or business:
- Install smoke alarms on every level on the home or office and inside bedrooms.
- Test smoke alarms once per month and replace batteries once a year.
- Have a fire escape plan and practice it with your family and coworkers.
- Inspect electrical cords and replace them if they are damaged.
- Be careful when using candles and keep them a foot away from items that can burn and never forget to blow them out when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Give space heaters at least thee feet of space from anything that can burn.
- Keep an eye on your cooking, especially when frying, boiling or grilling.
- Smoke outside and never in bed.
- install sprinklers in your office.
If you experience a fire in your home or office, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico to handle your disaster the professional and right way!