Grilling Safety This Summer
It's the time of year when families spend their summer evening preparing dinner on the grill. This great American past time brings great memories and delicious meals, however, it can also produce some serious concerns for the safety of your family and your home.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, In 2014-2018, fire departments went to an annual average of 8,900 home fires involving grills or barbecues. This included 3,900 structure fires and 4,900 outside or unclassified fires.
Follow these tips to ensure you are grilling safely:
- keep the grill in a location away from the home and out from under trees and structural coverings
- always clean your grill before and after use to remove grease and grime build up
- make sure children and pets play at a 3 foot distance from the grill to avoid accidents
- always open the grill's lid before lighting it
- never leave the grill alone for an extended period of time
If you experience a damage from a grilling accident, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Richmond and SERVPRO of Henrico to help restore and remediate the damage.